Tuesday, 14 August 2007

we need to talk about kevin




Okay, so this post is almost two weeks late but I didn’t want to let it pass. I’ve been in a book club for a year or so now (I’m sure that’s not a surprise) and we meet about every two months. We used to meet every six weeks but everyone was struggling to get through life and reading. The latest book was chosen a while back and it was interesting to hear peoples’ responses. Most of all, I was surprised to my reaction to the book. I had been looking forward to reading it for a few years. And I have to admit that I’m a bit of a sucker for awards (same goes for medals on wine bottles). We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver won the Orange Prize for Fiction in 2005. I really struggled to get through the first 200 pages of the book. I found the narrator grating and miserable: she complained about everything. I also found the style of her “letters” (as I believed them to be) unnecessarily verbose. But as the book club evening approached (and I was running out of time to finish), the story became more engaging. Unfortunately, I didn’t complete it in time and so heard about the gruesome end in the general discussion. But the following day I returned to the book and was much more satisfied with the last 100 pages than the first half. Would I recommend it? I’m not quite sure. But I’d definitely say if you do start it, to persevere.

1 comment:

Tristana said...

Good for people to know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails