Wednesday, 8 August 2007

hayman island


I’m not quite sure what’s going on at the moment, but it’s as if some tectonic shift has happened. For years I’ve been the dutiful employee packing my lunch for work in the morning, putting my head down and typing as fast as my fingers will fly. All of a sudden I’m hardly at my desk and spending more sleeping hours in fancy hotel rooms than I’ve ever done before. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but I’m a little fearful that another movement of the plates will occur and I’ll slip and get a bruised bottom!
So where was I working last weekend? Hayman Island. Nice work if you can get it. Seriously, though, getting a taste of five-star luxury was in the name of research for
Real Living magazine. And having visited this world-class resort, I have to say that everyone should try the high life just once in their lifetime. It might be for a honeymoon, anniversary or retirement treat, but it’s got to be done.
Still, the highlight of the trip remains that initial flight into the Whitsundays and thinking, “This place is so spectacular – I can’t believe I haven’t been here before and that it’s only two hours north of Sydney. How can I say that I’ve travelled the world when I haven’t seen this!”

2 comments:

Sarah Moffett said...

Do you find your travels make it easier to write or more difficult? I'm coming off my own travels, and between blogging and moisturizing (airports are rough on a girl's face), my creative writing gray matter has been affectively sucked dry. Just wondering how you adapt. Cheers to your writing adventures...and a healed eye soon.

Natalie Walton said...

Hi Sarah,
I'd have to say I'm a girl who needs routine. While I often write in a travel journal on holidays, any sort of creative writing goes out the door. I like to live in the moment too much!
Natalie

Related Posts with Thumbnails