Wednesday, 22 August 2007

writers' rooms

Writing is such a solitary profession that it's always fascinating to get any sort of insight into the process. Learning about how writers work - from 7am to lunchtime, for example, or by longhand - is something I devour. I think it's because I still, after all these years, haven't settled on a routine that works well for me. Generally, I try to get up at 5.30am and run or walk then write from 6.30am to 7.45am and then get ready for work. At the moment I'm experimenting with writing on the bus. My success rate is a bit hit and miss, though. I also love seeing images of writers' rooms. The photo above is from a feature posted on The Guardian website. This room belongs to Colm Toibin, who wrote The Master - a fiction novel based on the life of Henry James. (I've just recently read the short but enjoyable Daisy Miller.) There are so many rooms to see in this feature and I love that this room has books from floor to ceiling. It's quite austere, too, which is obviously conducive towards focussing on the task at hand. There's a bit of a debate whether a writer should have their desk facing towards or away from a window. Mine is towards, which probably provides too many distractions and explains why I'm such a slow writer. Will try to post a photo of my writing room soon.

Photo courtesy of The Guardian.

3 comments:

Mum said...

What an amazing room of books.

lola said...

yes, i know what you mean! so very nice.

Natalie Walton said...

Lola - you've got my mind racing again - dreaming about writers' rooms. I'm considering buying an old typewriter to get that vibe of yesteryear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails