Inside his digs.
One of his films.
Flicking through the latest Elle Decoration I saw one of the homeowners had a book on Julian Schnabel. Oh, how much would I love that book! It was not that long ago that Vanity Fair published an article on Mr Schnabel's Venetian-style palazzo he's built in New York. The courage and determination to see his vision through is one of many reasons why I think he rocks. The others are:
* he is a multi-talented man: a painter, sculptor, furniture designer and filmmaker
* at the start of his career he worked as a short-order cook to help pay the bills as he tried to establish himself as an artist
* he's not shy to express his opinion, stating: "I'm the closest thing to Picasso that you'll see in this *#@ life"
* but on the other hand, I admire his passion: "Painting is like breathing to me. It’s what I do all the time. Every day I make art, whether it is painting, writing or making a movie."
* he has made some amazing films: Basquiat, Before Night Falls and The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
Images courtesy of Vanity Fair